11 Things That Happen When You Reach The “Farting Milestone” Of Your Relationship
Should you let rip or keep it in? If you’ve decided passing gas in front of your S.O. is NBD, congrats, you’ve reached the “farting milestone” of your relationship. Pay attention—it has some consequences you should know about, both good and bad.
1. YOU’RE MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE.One of the best things about hitting the farting milestone in your relationship is that you reach a whole new level of comfort with your partner. You have nothing left to hide from each other, and it feels good. After all, there’s nothing worse than having to censor yourself in order to put your best foot forward 24/7. It’s exhausting!
2. YOU let go of the concept of “mystery” once and for all. Feeling comfortable is one thing, but letting go in your relationship is totally different—and it’s not a good thing. If you’re doing things like farting in front of your partner, it might bring you closer, but it also zaps some of the mystery and nervous chemistry of your relationship after you’ve hit that milestone.
3. THOSE THREE WORDS MIGHT FOLLOW YOUR FARTS. When Mic surveyed over 125 people who were in their 20s and 30s, they found that most people feel comfortable to fart in front of their partners after dating for two to six months. Interestingly, this also coincides with when people tend to say “I love you” for the first time. Hmmm. Maybe there’s a link between hitting that farting milestone and saying those three little words: it’s trust. When you trust each other enough to fart in front of each other, you pave the way for a closer emotional bond.
4. YOU START GETTING REAL. You want to be perfect around your partner, especially in the early stages of dating, but hitting the farting milestone destroys that. When you fart in front of your partner for the first time, you show them that you’re real. You’re a human being with natural bodily functions. The weight that’s lifted off your shoulders feels damn good.
5. YOU SEE YOUR PARTNER’S BAD SIDE. You get to see your partner’s gross side when they fart. You might wonder if you really need to witness their bodily functions. What next? Will you be doing a number two in front of each other or popping each other’s pimples? It’s possible since farting is the gateway to other things you do when you’re no longer on your guard around someone. For most people, that’s considered a downside.
6. FARTING ONCE MEANS MORE FARTING. Yup, it’s true. One fart might be cute and make you feel glad that you’re growing closer, but over time farting can become annoying AF. Is it just me or should some things be done in private, behind the closed bathroom door?
7. YOU DISCOVER WHAT YOUR PARTNER’S REALLY LIKE.There’s a really good reason to fart in front of your partner, though. It shows you if you have a truly awesome person on your hands or not. If they run the minute they hear you let rip, then maybe they’re not someone who deserves your trust. Someone who can see you at your most disgusting and still find you sexy is a keeper!
8. YOU STOP IMPRESSING EACH OTHER. You might think a successful relationship is about not being on your guard around your partner, and yes that’s part of it. But there’s something to be said for wanting your partner to see you in the best light. It’s like how you want your S.O. to continue making an effort in the relationship to show that they’re working for you. If your partner didn’t care about what you thought of them, they’d become sloppy AF, and maybe farting could be a symptom of that. Ugh. If you’ve hit that milestone of being comfortable enough to fart in front of each other, you could become lazy and too unconcerned with what you think of each other. This isn’t always the case, of course, but it’s definitely a possibility.
9. YOU MIGHT START TAKING EACH OTHER FOR GRANTED.Hear me out. Would you fart in front of someone on the first date? No, maybe because you feel it’s TMI or can be a huge turn-off. After months of dating, you might think that it’s cool because they’re not going to run away at a little fart. But does that mean you should just do whatever you want to in front of them? What if they see it as you taking them for granted, just assuming that they’ll always be there? If you think of it in this way, the problem isn’t really farting but what farting can represent for couples: a sort of “Who cares what they think? They’re not going anywhere” mindset. That’s not cool. You don’t want that in your relationship.
10. YOU LAUGH MORE.Although they can be nasty and smelly, farts can make you and your partner laugh together. In that way, reaching the farting milestone can be a good thing because farting reminds you to lighten up every now and then. Research has found that couples who laugh together stay together. According to a report from the University of Kansas, when couples find the same things funny, they have the most satisfying relationships.
11. TO FART OR NOT TO FART? IT’S UP TO YOU. Maybe reaching the farting milestone in your relationship is important. Maybe it’s something you’d rather give your two front teeth than actually do. Either way, it’s good to know about the possible consequences that you’ll encounter. Whatever you decide to do, make sure your partner’s on the same page before you let a big one rip!