We all heard about the woman who decided to test her boyfriend in order to see if he was still worthy of her love, but let’s be honest – the test had next to nothing to do with his commitment to her and everything to do with his knowledge of Beyoncé. While I wouldn’t particularly recommend you rely on pop culture compatibility quizzes to determine how your relationship will play out, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to put your boyfriend up to the test to see if you should move forward. Otherwise, how will you know if it’s real or if you’re just wasting your time?
Here are five tests every girlfriend should give her boyfriend.
1. THE MOM TEST. You can substitute your mom with whoever the most important person in your life happens to be. After all, this test is all about taking your new man back to meet a person who has known you forever – and whom you know is going to be there for the rest of your days. If your new boyfriend doesn’t mesh well with your closest family and friends without an understandable reason, then it might be time to rethink things. If he fails, don’t be afraid to move on to the next one.
2. THE VACATION TEST. There are a lot of things that happen on vacation that will put your relationship to the test. Do you both work well as a team while you’re lost? When you get into an inevitable argument will you both deal with it well with communication? How do you both deal with it money together? If you end up feeling more stressed than happy once the vacation is done, then he might not be the one for you.
3. THE GIRL’S NIGHT TEST. At the start of every relationship, couples tend to be inseparable. But there comes a time where you settle down and try to find time for your friends. When you have your first girl’s night, that’s when you’ll get a good idea how secure your boyfriend is. Does he constantly try to find out what you’re up to as if he doesn’t trust you? Does he try to talk you out of going out? Does he try to ruin your night by picking a fight? These are all red flags saying you need to get out STAT!
4. THE TASTE TEST. It’s fine to have a boyfriend who has different taste in music, TV shows, and his choice of pastimes – that makes things more interesting! What’s not okay if your boyfriend insists his taste is better and completely overrides all of your opinions. A good relationship will make room for the things each of you enjoy equally. If he has problems compromising, he definitely fails.
5. THE LIVING TOGETHER TEST. If you’re against moving in together, perhaps you can do a stay-cation instead. After all, there are a lot of things you learn about each other when you share the same living quarters for an extended period of time. Which chores is your boyfriend good at? Is he the type that needs to be reminded to do them? Are there any weird habits he’s had that you’ve overlooked? Living together will definitely answer these, and you’ll learn if he is committing any huge deal breakers.